Two makes to share today. Firstly a Tilly and the Buttons Cleo Dungaree Dress. I made this one shortly before Christmas and already I have had a lot of wear out of it. I wanted to be able to wear it with as many different things as possible, so I made it in this medium whale grey corduroy bought from eBay (sadly no longer available but they have it in red).
I made version 1 the mini length with a front chest pocket and rear patch pockets. The instructions give the option for contrast top-stitching but I kept it pretty neutral, so that I can wear this with as many things as possible.
I made a straight size size 2, even though it doesn’t quite match my measurements (my hips are a little bigger than that) but thought I could get away without grading as it is not a particularly closely fitted style. The sizing is spot on. It is a little bit of a wiggle to get it on over my hips, but once it it on it fits fine. Length is great with tights, and while loose fitting over the hips, even with a short t-shirt you don’t feel like you underwear might end up on show at the cut out sides!
As you might be able to spot above, I didn’t get around to top stitching down the facing. This was for two reasons- one, I was impatient and wanted to get on installing my buttons then realised afterwards that I had made top stitching tricky/impossible, and two because I liked the clean finish. I have tacked it down at the side seam and haven’t had any problems with it flipping out of place.
I love wearing this with tights and boots. Today I am wearing it with another new make- my Seamwork Astoria. This is my second attempt as this pattern. The first was far too tight and was a nightmare to get on and off- just not enough stretch in the fabric. This one is better though still not quite right. The fabric is a stash sweater fleece with a bit of stretch. Probably still not the 20% recommended by the pattern which is why I think it is pulling a bit in some of the pictures.
Astoria is a very easy make. It came together very easily on the overlocker, with a bit of twin needle stitching to keep some of the hems from flipping out of place.
I made a couple of little changes- my fabric wasn’t quite big enough to cut out the full length sleeve so I added a cuff. The cuff I kept a fraction wider than the original sleeve piece too as I found it quite narrow the first time I made it.
Still not quite perfect, but a very wearable sweater now that the weather has got properly wintry again! I’m sure there will be more around- possibly lengthening the pattern to a less cropped style.