In the last year I have been working hard to make the things I wear every day, and that means basics. perhaps not the most exciting sewing, but these Sew Over It Molly Tops from the My Capsule Wardrobe E-book get so much wear.
This magenta and grey is my first attempt and it did go together very smoothly. I decided to use the neckband on the cross-grain, but this was a mistake because there wasn’t enough stretch in that direction. It ended up hanging away from the body quite a bit at the neckline so I have fudged a fix by turning the neckband down again and stitching it in place.
This pattern is one of 5 PDF patterns in the e-book. It is a loose-fitting, kimono sleeved top with a dipped hem. The sizing is spot on. It is loose and flowing without ending up oversized.
I now have two short-sleeved versions, and a long-sleeved top (all striped which did create some extra work matching). It does help that you don’t need to stripe match at the sleeve seam, because the stripe direction changes.
All three of my tops are made with jersey from Girl Charlee who really should be your go-to place for jersey. These are all quite lightweight, so don’t have loads of stretch and do need to be handled a little carefully to stop them from stretching out. The two short-sleeved tops are 1/2 inch stripe, cotton jersey blends available here in teal and magenta. There are lots of other colour options too. The long-sleeve is similar, but unfortunately now out of stock.
On my long-sleeved version I have found the sleeves a little short and they got stretched out hemming so I have since added a cuff. Not really sure that it helped, so I may remove the sleeves and keep it as another short-sleeved version.
I would definitely make more of these. If you didn’t have stripe matching to deal with they would be such a fast make. The short-sleeved version only has 3 pieces- front, back and neckband. Not so sure about the sleeved version, perhaps I should try again in a more stable jersey, but at the moment I think I prefer the Tilly and the Buttons Agnes Top which I will be reviewing here shortly!
3 thoughts on “Making basics with the Molly Top”