My husband has a real fascination with maps. We have some really cool ones displayed on out walls at home, and a whole box of Ordinance Survey maps of various wild parts of the UK for walking with. When we were invited to a wedding and one of his friends suggested wearing fancy waistcoats, Matt naturally wanted his to be lined with map fabric.
We chose the fabrics together, opting for cotton twill from Trago for the outside and some map print cotton for the inside. This was the first time I had sewn anything for Matt and I didn’t want to disappoint, so I was a little nervous, but this came together beautifully.
One of the scary things about this waistcoat was that the first steps involved sewing my first ever welt pockets. I did sew a single practice pocket to check that I understood the instructions and then dived right in. I don’t know why I was so worried- it was no-where near as difficult as I had imagined. I think I was just the thought of having to cut into my carefully cut pattern pieces that made it a bit nerve-wracking.
This pattern is a bit mind boggling in the way that it all comes together. I did just have to trust the instructions, and it worked absolutely fine. It is a bit worrying though when you have to turn most of the project though the shoulder seam!
It was definitely fun to be on the camera end of the photos for a change- Matt has been channelling his best model poses for you though! I think we might just have to get him in again sometime.