Coming into spring, I am definitely feeling the need for candy colours and for some more t-shirts. I am experimenting with a lot of new patterns at the moment. This one, the Lane Raglan by Hey June was popping up all over the place and it looked so pretty that I couldn’t resist! I already have a couple of t-shirt patterns (see my Tilly and the Buttons Agnes here and Sew Over It Molly Top here) but I don’t want to be wearing the same one all the time, and while I can make some changes to these patterns, the Lane Raglan is different enough that I wanted to give it a try.
The three patterns listed above all have different ways of dealing with the sleeve. In the Agnes Top, there is a set in sleeve which I have found fits me particularly well. The Molly Top has a cut on Kimono style sleeve, but I haven’t had much luck with the longer sleeved version. Lane is a raglan sleeve and this simple shape makes it perfect for colour blocking. It also means that the body and sleeves are perfect for smaller fabric remnants.
Having made quite a few t-shirts now, I didn’t really have any trouble with cutting or sewing this up. I was a little surprised though that there were no notches in the pattern at all to help get everything lined up. It didn’t cause me any issues, but might be worth bearing in mind if this is the first time you have made something like this.
Hey June patterns are pretty cool because they have different pieces included with a full bust adjustment (FBA). My measurements put me slightly above the size XS (with the FBA) but the advice in the pattern is to size down if you are between sizes. It has turned out fairly roomy and I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to size up. I’m not totally sure about the fit around the arm, but I’m not sure if that is just how the raglan sleeve fits or if there is something I can do to improve it.
I made this top with fabrics from Girl Charlee and they are just perfect t-shirt weight. Both are cotton spandex blends so they should have good recovery and are a plain coral and a beautiful floral for contrast. Both fabrics have sewn up well, but I have noticed that the white backing does sometimes show through the print on the floral if it gets stretched sewing. This top does not have the neatest insides because for some reason my overlocker did not seem to like the plain coral fabric! It kept ending up with little ripples and tucks, thought they aren’t really visible on the outside.
I’m pretty happy with how this has turned out and it is a nice change from my other t-shirt patterns. There are several variations in this pattern including a hem band and a hood to make it into a sweater/hoodie and I’m keen to give that a try at some point. I have a selection of other Girl Charlee prints waiting to become t-shirts so I think there will be a few more raglans in my wardrobe soon!