This is not my first Archer Shirt, and I am sure there will be more (I have a lovely soft brushed cotton which would be perfect), but I am pretty proud of creating proper basics.
These are my 3rd and 4th versions of the standard Archer button-up, and I have also sewn the popover variation before too.
I decided that the best way of creating these shirts would be to sew both simultaneously so that I only really had to look up the instructions for each stage once. Grainline have a fantastic sew-a-long with detailed pictures or videos of every stage. I definitely found them invaluable the first time I made an Archer. This time I was able to get away with just looking up and checking a couple of stages.
Fabrics are maybe not the most exciting here, though this lightweight denim from my stash is amazing. Not sure where it is from, but it doesn’t wrinkle at all, which made it great for packing on holiday. The flowers are a Rose and Hubble polycotton from Trago, which I chose largely so that I could sew both shirts in the same navy thread without it being strange, and because the print is busy enough not to bother matching.
So why do I love this pattern and these shirts so much? It’s because there is something magical about creating a complicated garment out of a flat piece of fabric. And the Archer pattern is so good and clear, that it really does make it do-able for most dressmakers. Every notch matches up, every instruction is illustrated, and the sizing is accurate too.
These shirts are both a size 4. Its roomy enough to stick a t-shirt underneath and use the shirt as a cover up, but not so huge that I won’t be able to layer them under jumpers in the winter.
The only change that I made this time, was to add a button tab, so that I could roll up the sleeves. I based it on the Alex Shirtdress, but picked my own positioning and dimensions. I actually changed up the construction order a little to finish the sleeves first so that I could check they were in the right place. I really like the contrast that you get in the denim with sleeves rolled up and the paler reverse side visible.
To vary it up (and to stop me needing about 30 buttonholes!) I used buttons on one shirt, but on the other I went for silver snaps. I think they look lovely and casual with the denim, and they were certainly faster. (Love my vario pliers for this.)
I even remembered to sew in some ribbon between the yoke seam and the body as my tag.
On holiday I was reaching for these shirts all the time (along with the much loved Flint shorts), and that is when you know they were a success. I didn’t wear either of the cardigans that I had packed, partially because it was warm, but also because the shirts were just right.
You are even getting a sneak peek of something else coming to the blog- my latest guest blog for Minerva Crafts, featuring some green stretch denim. Sadly you will have to wait for a couple of months for the full reveal, but I can tell you that I am totally in love with the result!
9 thoughts on “Another Archer (or two)!”
These look awesome, especially the denim one! I’m venturing into shirt making myself at present, using a light chambray and McCalls pattern. Love your shorts as well. 🙂
Well done for giving it a try. It can seem a little intimidating with all those pieces, but shirt making is so worth it! I hope it goes really well, and look forward to seeing what you make 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person