When I made my previous Amber Top for my holidays, I knew that I was going to want to make the dress version too at some point. This dress was definitely also what I had I’m mind when I added this pattern to my make 9 list in January, so it feels good to have the plans coming together.
This fabric was always intended to be a dress, though it has sadly sat in my stash for about two years waiting for something to happen! I bought it with a Tilly and the Buttons Agnes Dress Hack in mind and I was also clearly inspired by Tilly in the fabric choice too. Like hers, my fabric is from MyFabrics, and I have always liked how they send fabrics out labelled with a sticker which has all the fabric details on, including length, composition and washing instructions. They don’t have this fabric any more, but they do have some other similar nautical designs which are really fun.
So back to the dress that I did actually make. I found it much easier to put all the pleats and pieces together than when I made the t-shirt version, and I made sure to baste together some of the key seams with lots to line up so that nothing could get unintentionally caught in the overlocker this time! The modesty panel is just plain navy cotton spandex from Girl Charlee because I thought it might be a bit much to have the print there as well, and now it just looks like a little vest top underneath. I think it would be really cute sometime to make a dress or top with a little lace trim along the top edge of that panel too.
One of my only issues with this dress is that the front waistband does get stretched quite a bit at the moment, now that the bump is getting bigger, and sometimes that does cause the white backing of the printed fabric to show through. Probably most people wouldn’t notice, but it does annoy me enough to have to rearrange it slightly when I notice it!
The only change I made from the pattern was to shorten the dress 10cm at the hem once it was finished. I very rarely wear any dress length other than above the knee so I just knew I was going to be more comfortable with it a bit shorter.
This dress is going to get lots of wear in the next couple of months I’m sure. It looks great now with leggings and boots, and I know I’ll be able to wear is as the weather (hopefully) warms up too. It should be a practical and comfortable post-bump option too. I’m not sure how the front of the dress will hang without the bump, and I guess I might have to re-hem if the length isn’t quite right any more, but that is easy enough to do.
It’s not often that Matt and I manage to get a picture of us together, so I thought I’d leave you with one just for fun. A picture of our ‘growing’ family before it all changes in May!
10 thoughts on “Amber Dress”