While I have managed to sort out a few options for everyday maternity wear, it turns out maternity work wear is far more complicated to find! I am an outdoor education instructor, and while I’m not planning on hanging around at the top of the climbing tower much anymore, I don’t want to totally give up on being busy outdoors. Unfortunately, the only UK supplier I have found of maternity walking trousers is fairly limited (and I had to take the elastic of the waistband in about 3 inches even for the smallest size).
Fortunately, I have a few things which I don’t wear often or don’t fit well to modify. First up is a pair of walking trousers. I could have just removed the waistband in the same way as my jeans, but these trousers had a nifty side adjustment already which gave me an idea about modifying them at the side seam instead. I unpicked the side seam about 20cm on each side and then tried them back on to see how much extra room I needed to create.
I had a bit of navy lycra in my stash, so cut out some triangles of about the right size, and hemmed the top edge. Then I went about inserting them into the side seams where they had been unpicked. I decided to make them a little bigger than I needed them right now to give me a bit of space to keep growing.
Once they were in, I tidied up the waistband edge, and stitched it all down. The next problem is that the original side adjusters were obviously going to be way too short. I thought about taking them off and replacing them with a new longer set, but thought they might be more versatile if I added to them instead. They currently close with Velcro, so I bought a couple of rectangular sliders which the current strap can slide through and fasten the Velcro behind. Then I sewed these into the end of a strap extension. It sounds complicated, but it is actually really simple to look at.
I’ve also been a bit short of jumpers and layers which fit properly to do up, so I adapted an old softshell in a similar way. This time the sides are opened from the bottom hem upwards about 25cm and I added similar triangular inserts.
The insert is essentially a godet, so if you are thinking of doing something similar and want a bit of sewing advice Liz has a tutorial, as does By Hand London.
This jacket had a drawstring at the bottom originally, and the side seam coincided with some eyelets which helped adjust the elastic. I decided that it would be worth keeping the drawstring feature, so sewed the lycra into the side seams before hemming so that I could keep the channel clear. I had to add some new eyelets and elastic, but it works really well, stopping the jacket from riding up and keeping the draughts out!
I love that these things fit me now, but have enough adjustment (hopefully) to keep me comfortable for the next couple of months too. Now I’m all ready for more adventures!
P.S. Apologies for the low quality pictures. My normal cameraperson/husband has been away a lot recently, so these got taken on my phone using the timer and the contrast/exposure/quality is just not so great!