Seamwork Paxton

It is a little unusual for me to be sewing for someone other than myself, but I spotted this teal dogtooth quilted jersey on Minerva Crafts which I thought would be perfect for Matt. The Seamwork Paxton sweater was one of my make nine plans for this year, and so I’ve sewed one up.

Photo 2

It feels good to be making progress on some of my sewing plans! This is the third of my patterns ticked off my make nine list. I’ve already written about my Seamwork Oslo, and Megan Nielson Amber. Three from nine at this point in the year is looking good!

Photo 3

The full review of my Paxton sweater and this fabric is up on the Minerva Crafts blog, so check it out here. Matt seems happy to be the recipient of some sewing goodies for a change, so that feels good too!

Photo 4


Blossom Dress

Today I bring you another fabric test for Minerva Crafts.  If you have been reading my blog for the past couple of months you may have seen this fabric before in my hacked Anna top.  Well this is the main project that I used it for, a Sew Over It Blossom Dress.

Photo 5

The full write up is over at here on the Minerva crafts blog, but I thought I would share some personal news with this post because the sewing social media followers among you might be thinking “but isn’t that a maternity pattern”.  Well it turns out we are expecting a new addition to our family sometime at the end of May next year. It has altered my sewing queue quite a bit to include some of the new maternity pattern releases from Sew Over It and Tilly and the Buttons, and a couple of hacks of other patterns which might be adapted for a growing belly.

Photo 4

These pictures were taken a few weeks back when I was only just starting to get a bump, so the exaggerated dipped front hem is quite a bit long still.  I didn’t want to alter it though, because I’m hoping that this will be something I can wear right through until May, and perhaps alter it then to be less pronounced.


Hacked Anna Top

I missed last month’s project SewMyStyle– the Hampshire Trouser.  I do plan to make them at some point, and I have some cotton twill prewashed and ready, but October ended up being a very busy month!  November though is a little less crazy, and I’ve managed to be a bit more organised.  The project for November is the Anna dress by By Hand London.  I don’t really have a need for a more dressy dress this month though, so I did a bit of research about how else I could use the pattern.  This is what I came up with- I found a really lovely pattern hack for a top.IMG_1353The pattern hack involves shortening the bodice a little so that it is empire line, and then adding a circle skirt.  The circle skirt calculator is really handy here to work out exactly what to cut.  I went with a half circle skirt, but kept the length a bit longer than I expected to need, because I wasn’t sure what length I was going to want it.  I ended up keeping all the length though, because this is really lovely at almost-tunic-length!IMG_1403The fabric is a beautiful self lined polyester crepe in a colour called aubergine.  I was given it to test by Minerva Crafts, and I managed to get this top out of the remnants of that project.  You should be able to see the end result of my main project in a couple of weeks.IMG_1364In the meantime, I will say that the fabric is lovely.  The colour is rich, it drapes and it seems quite resistant to creasing, which is a little irritating when pressing up small hem allowances, but is actually very handy in wear.IMG_1381This top is for me a great reminder to look beyond the styling, and the functionality of a pattern and look at what really matters- the cut and the lines.  I think I will have to look through my pattern stack with new eyes looking at what else I can hack to serve a new purpose.IMG_1341I have reached the point in the year where no matter what, I’m not going to be temped to take photos of short sleeved garments outside- hence the layering t-shirt, but I actually like it like this too.  It makes a put-together, slightly glam top more everyday wearable.IMG_1386






My first Jeans, and another test for Minerva Crafts

It sometimes seems like you are the only person in the blogosphere that hasn’t made a particular pattern, and I did feel a little like that before embarking on these Ginger Jeans.  These have been on my plans list since Closet Case Patterns launched a ‘Sew you dream jeans’ video workshop in February, so it’s been a while coming.  Sometimes though, you just need a little nudge to get started, and when Minerva Crafts gave me the opportunity to try out some of their stretch denim, I knew it was time to get started!


I am so in love with these Jeans! They look and feel like the real thing, and are probably the best fitting pair that I have ever owned.  I sewed a size 6 with a few adjustments- I shortened them by 2″ because I am a bit shorter than the drafted for 5’6″. I shortened the crotch length by 3/8th” after my baste fit, and recut my waistband with more of a curve at the back to allow for a slight swayback.  Next time I will take a tiny bit more out of the crotch, but I think that is all the changes that I will make.


The fabric was fantastic to work with- stretch, good recovery, and firm but not too thick.  You can see my full review and more pictures over on the Minerva crafts blog.  I think I might just have to make another pair.