Having had a chance to test out the Moneta pattern by Colette a couple of months ago when writing my guest post for Minerva crafts, and having seen some awesome variations in Instagram as part of the Moneta Party, I thought that I would have another go. This time I made a few little changes, including shortening the sleeves for spring!
Once again, pockets seem to be an essential feature of everything that I make!
They are just so perfect for sticking your hands in on a spring evening.
My previous Moneta dress fit pretty well, but I have taken in a little at the waist, and this time I have adapted my altered pattern pieces from before so that all the seam allowances are the same now. Once again, I used the Tilly and the Buttons Agnes top to modify the bodice pattern so that it fit me better.
The only other real change was to switch the gathers on the skirt for pleats. To do this I measured the difference between the bodice measurement and the top of the skirt. I divided this by 4 (for the 4 pleats- two at the front and two at the back), and then divided by two again (to work out how much fabric I needed to take in at each side of each pleat). This sounds very complicated when writing it down, but in reality is very simple. I did add clear elastic to the waist seam, even though I wasn’t gathering onto elastic, to avoid the seam from stretching out in the future.
This fabric came from Ebay and can be found here still. It is a printed Ponte Roma and like my previous Moneta is a nice weight, but still drapes well in the skirt. I love the deep hems on the skirt and sleeves.
I’m sure there well be more of these dresses in my wardrobe at some point. It is just so versatile- can be dressed up or down, can be worn layered or on it’s own. It is a great pattern for adding options to your wardrobe.