By the time you are reading this I will be on a flight out to Italy with a suitcase full of last minute completed sewing! I’m going to have quite a backlog of things to write up once I get back. This is also a slightly belated post. Even the pictures were taken a couple of months ago on a short trip to Swansea.
When Sew Over It was having one of their sales, I decided to get a printed copy of their Silk Cami as part of a fabric/pattern kit. They make up small numbers of these kits with a suitable fabric for a few of their PDF only patterns, and if you hate the printing and sticking that a PDF pattern entails, this is one way to access a couple more of their designs!
I decided not to use the fabric which came with the kit for my first attempt, because I wanted to check out the fit. Instead I used the very last pieces of this cotton lawn (seen before in my Beausoleil Top and the English Tea Dress). You may also have spotted that I am wearing my handmade espadrilles in these pictures. They still look so cool!
This is a very simple top. There is no shaping or darts to deal with. Just a front and back, and facings to finish the neckline and armholes. Given it’s simple shape, I actually really like the fit of this and definitely have plans for more.
About the only place that I’m not 100% happy is the back neckline which seems to be gaping a little. I think I might take out a dart in this version, and then correct it in the pattern for future attempts.
The only other little gripe if that my front facing doesn’t lie totally flat. I’m not sure if that is a drafting error, or a tracing off the pattern error. (Probably more likely the latter.) It means that for my next cami I will need to double check the pattern pieces too!
I do have a slightly exiting plan to hack this at some point too with the Grainline Archer Popover variation to give a little cami with a popover button placket at the front. I think that will look really cute when I get around to it!
I do have plans for a few more of these once I have sorted out the slight neckline issues. This one was always planned as a wearable toile before cutting into a couple of other lovely fabrics which have been earmarked of this pattern.